Monday, March 30, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas Review

I just finished reading the The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
A very interesting book, I really have so much to say about it, but I need to discuss it! It is a book about Hitler Germany through the eyes of a 9 year old boy. The point of view hit close to home for me because my boy Max is nearly 9. For such a short book it had a lot of content and hidden meaning, my favorite was Bruno's interpretation of the Führer being called 'The Fury'. The book made me question, a lot! How could a country so full of the spirit in the 1500's that William Tyndale would seek shelter there to translate the Bible, become a place so ungodly and full of fear and contempt? It made me think of all the judgments we all make and how easy it is for pride to seep in our hearts, it often happens with out us even knowing it. We pass it on to our children because it seeps into their tender naive sponge-like hearts. I really enjoyed the book, it was even comical at times, but in the end it broke my heart, I literally felt a physical pain. My heart broke for the father, he had to lose life to really understand its value. One of the things I got out of this book, and not to down play the loss of life for the Jews, but The Holocaust was a HUGE loss of humanity for Germany. Really worth reading, don't skip it and see the movie. The author does a phenomenal job describing the situations and surroundings without being cumbersome, I bet it was a cinch to direct the movie. I have not seen the movie so I don't mean to say it way bad I just think it probably wouldn't be able to keep the Innocent perspective.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...